With the rise of the green movement, many are using “natural” household cleaning products promoted as effective and healthy.
The most notable of these products are vinegar and baking soda. But are they disinfectants? Are they effective at destroying household germs?
Let’s take a look…
The Difference Between Cleaning and Disinfecting
- Cleaning physically removes germs by using soap or detergent and water to wash away surface dirt and grime.
- Disinfecting kills germs on surfaces or stops them from reproducing.
White vinegar, a clear vinegar made from grain, is helpful for tasks like cleaning coffee makers, brightening coffee and tea cups, and eliminating odors.
While vinegar is great for cleaning and physically removing dirt and grime, it is NOT effective at destroying harmful household germs, including those likely to lurk on surfaces in the kitchen.
Baking soda is a white solid that is crystalline but often appears as a fine powder. Although baking soda is often used a household cleaner, and great for absorbing musty smells, it is INEFFECTIVE against most bacteria, including salmonella, E. coli. and staphylococcus.
Did you know…
- The average home has 319 bacteria per square inch on the fridge door?
- The average light switch has 217 bacteria per square inch?
- The average faucet handle has 13,227 bacteria per square inch?
- The average cell phone has 25,127 bacteria per square inch?
- The average counter top has 488 bacteria per square inch?
- The average sink drain has 567,845 bacteria per square inch?
- One single bacteria cell can multiply into over a billion in just 24 hours?
In an experiment testing the strength of vinegar and other homemade products against common foodborne illnesses, researchers discovered that VINEGAR was INEFFECTIVE in destroying E. coli, Salmonella, and Listeria – three serious pathogens that can make your family sick.
In fact, using vinegar or baking soda as a cleaner with a cleaning rag or sponge, you could simply be spreading the germs around.
The lesson here is that while vinegar and baking soda can be useful, cost-effective cleaning agents, they are NOT disinfectants and will not kill the majority of household germs.
Our “Live Well Champions” have found only ONE product that is patented, ALL Natural and the ONLY natural product approved by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) that is guaranteed to kill 99.9% of household germs.
The Live Well Movement is here to expose what you think you know about the everyday products we use with the cold, hard facts & to provide safer, healthier alternatives.
Live Well, Love Well, Lead Well.
I’m always here if you need me.
If you ever have questions, feel free to contact me any time.
Text or call > 519-500-7034
Or Message me on Facebook.